Links – A Slow St John’s News Day
We must be close to summer. Not so much to blog about.
* Did Paul Pierce throw up an LA gang sign or a Boston hood sign?
“Those of us from L.A. know that Paul Pierce went to Inglewood High, and we also know that means that B probably didn’t stand for Boston,” writes the Fourth Quarter blog.
Bostonians have another answer, whether it be accurate information or convenient homerism defending the Celtics star. “Paul was simply throwin his ‘3’s up’ – i.e. reppin Boston,” writes Sons of Sam Horn poster “Brookliner.” “Not reppin the bloods, not Ingelwood, not calling Horford names. I know most of us are ‘from Boston’, but nobody living in the ‘burbs will be familiar with the practice. The whole ‘3’s up’ thing is used by kids from the hood to rep Boston – simple as that.”
Indeed, an entry in Urban Dictionary defines “Throw them threes up,” as “a hand symbol representing Boston,” likely derived from the song, “3’s Up,” by local rap artist Stein. Ironically enough, another local artist, Benzino, lays claim to the song, “Throw Them 3’s.” It was Benzino bodyguard Trevor Watson who was convicted of stabbing Pierce in 2000.
* Karl Malone… you knocked up a 13 year old back in the day? Whoo-eee, Louisiana rolls dirty. The resulting child is Demetrius Bell, a draft pick of the Buffalo Bills. Even at age 20 and in college… that’s some ill sh*t.
* Speaking of drafts, here is an early peek at what the New York Jets will look like next year as the offensive line spending spree is designed to afford the skill position players more opportunities.
* As a fantasy owner, Yovani Gallardo-NOOOOOO! Not the ACL!
“Gallardo is probably out for the season, meaning you can drop him in all seasonal leagues. No chance he comes back and is effective this year after that type of injury, especially when you consider that he will likely have two surgeries — one on each knee — within the course of two months.”
“Are y’all close friends?” [TNT’s Kenny] Smith asked.
“We’re good friends,” Wade responded.
“Are you the kind of friends that drink out of one cup with two straws?” Smith persisted.
Even if Wade is doing some dirt behind his wife’s back… I think he can get someone less cougar-esque.
* Eli Holman – way to counteract talk that you’re a headcase (or “volatile” or “emotional” or any of those other euphemisms for “we don’t know wtf he might do”) with a temper tantrum as you announce your transfer from the Indiana basketball program. I smell junior college for you.